Battle of the Bay
SAP Extreme Sailing Team Rise to 2nd Place
Today the Extreme Sailing Series™ Act 5, Cardiff grudge match kicked off with an epic 9 races. There were hulls soaring and water spraying as the eight Extreme 40s hurtled round Cardiff Bay with plenty of OCS action all day.
The conditions on the course suited the SAP Extreme Sailing Team, the Danes secured 5 podium finishes to see them rise to second place at the end of the first day of the Act.
The team were consistent on the water and had their best day of the season to date. With a return to form the Danish finished just eight points behind the Brits, JP Morgan BAR.
Co-Skipper Rasmus Kostner was happy with the team’s performance but conscious holding form over the weekend is his focus:
“We had a good day and we managed to read the pre-start very nicely and came off the line in a good spot. It becomes very difficult if you don’t get that part right as it’s so tough to overtake in this racecourse. You just go from one manoeuvre to the next, so everything worked really well for us today, but for the rest of the weekend we will be focusing on holding form.”
The Danish are one point ahead of current Series leaders Alinghi, in third place, With gusts of up to 20 knots expected for today’s racing, it will be an action-packed, hull flyer of a day.
Extreme Sailing Series™ Act 5 Cardiff presented by Land Rover
Standings after Day 1, 9 races (22.08.14)
Position / Team / Points
- J.P. Morgan BAR (GBR) Ben Ainslie, Nick Hutton, Paul Campbell-James, Bleddyn Mon, Matt Cornwell 70 points.
- SAP Extreme Sailing Team (DEN) Jes Gram-Hansen, Rasmus Køstner, Thierry Douillard, Jonas Hviid-Nielsen, Brad Farrand, Nicolai Sehested 62 points.
- Alinghi (SUI) Morgan Larson, Anna Tunnicliffe, Pierre-Yves Jorand, Nils Frei, Yves Detrey 61 points.
- The Wave, Muscat (OMA) Leigh McMillan, Sarah Ayton, Pete Greenhalgh, Kinley Fowler, Nasser Al Mashari 58 points.
- Realteam by Realstone (SUI) Jérôme Clerc, Arnaud Psarofaghis, Bruno Barbarin, Bryan Mettraux, Thierry Wassem 56 points.
- Oman Air (OMA) Rob Greenhalgh, Ted Hackney, Kyle Langford, Hashim Al Rashdi, Musab Al Hadi 44 points.
- Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL) Dean Barker, Ray Davies, James Dagg, Jeremy Lomas, Edwin Delaat 37 points.
- Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) Roman Hagara, Hans-Peter Steinacher, Mark Bulkeley, Shaun Mason, Stewart Dodson 33 points.
- Groupama sailing team (FRA) Franck Cammas, Romain Motteau, Tanguy Cariou, Thierry Fouchier, Devan Le Bihan 33 points.
- Gazprom Team Russia (RUS) Igor Lisovenko, Phil Robertson, Matt Adams, Pete Cumming, Aleksey Kulakov 26 points.
- GAC Pindar (AUS) Nathan Wilmot, Hugh Styles, Ed Smyth, Seve Jarvin, James Wierzbowski 21 points.